Archives

Whitework – update 2

The needleweaving progressed quite quickly, but used a lot of thread. I am now well into the third ball of DMC perle 12 thread since I started stitching this Whitework piece.

Two sides complete two sides 2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Then it was onto the final two wide borders – first up was the longer of the two sides.

Third side complete

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And by the end of June I was well on the way to completing the final side.

End of June 1Side 4 -nearly there

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Two weeks later and all the borders were finished and as predicted previously there were an awful lot of coral knots.

All borders complete 1

 

 

 

 

 

 

Now there is just the hems to sort out.

Advertisements

Whitework update

By the end of April I had all the threads withdrawn for the borders and the hems done on six of the borders. I managed to find 9 different methods of heming the narrow borders that form two sides of the design.

April 27th 2016 pt1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There are over 400 coral knots in the longer border – and this is only a narrow border.  I don’t want to think about how many I may have to do on the wider borders!

April 27th 2016 pt2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next up is some needleweaving.

Whitework

Having finished my Saxophone it was time to start a new project on my monthly workshops with Shelley Cox. I decided to have a go at a new technique and settled on Pulled and Drawn work. I am working a sampler to include as many stitches as possible from the two techniques. My first attempt at working out a grid meant that there were going to be 99 different pulled thread techniques – a quick trip back to the drawing board cut this down to 63! Despite most of my needlework involving counting threads – it took several attempts to get the first few squares right. I kept “losing” the canvas threads when the were pulled together by my stitches.

I started this piece back in September and by March I had completed just over half of the 63 squares.

Whitework 1 - March 1st

Whitework 1 – March 1st

Whitework 2- March 1st

Whitework 2- March 1st

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I then picked up speed and managed to finish the rest of the squares in only 2 weeks.

Pulled work completed

Pulled work completed

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This meant that on my next visit to Shelley I was able to start pulling out the threads for the Drawn work borders. This took longer than expected as I needed to keep the withdrawn canvas threads in a good enough state to be able to weave them back in at the end of the borders. By my next visit to Shelley I had managed to pull out most of the necessary threads and had started to group the remaining threads together.

Whitework 4

Whitework – April 9th